- Global report: Russia reels from record rise in Covid infections
- Cristiano Ronaldo tests positive for coronavirus, Portugal confirm
- Test and trace: which countries got it right?
- Man catches coronavirus twice in first such US case
- England: Keir Starmer urges PM to impose ‘circuit breaker’ lockdown
Here’s a write up from Reuters on the Netherlands’ partial lockdown:
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said on Tuesday the Netherlands must return to a “partial lockdown”, including the closure of bars and restaurants, as the country battles to control the coronavirus in one of Europe’s major hotspots.
“Today we are announcing new and weighty measures and in fact we are going to a partial lockdown,” Rutte said in a nationally televised news conference at which he announced that bars and restaurants will be closed excepting for takeaway or delivery. Alcohol sales in the evening will also be banned.
French health authorities on Tuesday reported 12,993 new Covid-19 infections over the past 24 hours, up on Monday’s 8,505, but still sharply down from Saturday’s record of 26,896 and Sunday’s 16,101, Reuters reports.
The seven-day moving average of new infections, which averages out weekly data reporting irregularities, stood above the record 17,000 level for the second day running, at 17,816.