California cases pass New York’s; WHO emergencies chief says vaccinations unlikely before 2021; global infections top 15m
- South Africa sees spike in excess deaths suggesting high Covid-19 toll
- South Korea goes into recession as Australia flags huge deficit
- US daily coronavirus deaths surpass 1,000 for first time since June
- Nearly a quarter of people in Delhi have had coronavirus, study finds
- UK coronavirus updates – live
WHO director-general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus is now leading a press conference on the coronavirus pandemic.
“The pandemic has already changed the way we live our lives. Part of adjusting to the new normal is finding ways to live safely,” he said, of the international measures taken to curb the spread of Covid-19.
Uzbek President Shavkat Mirziyoyev has agreed with his cabinet’s proposal to extend a nationwide lockdown beyond 1 August, his office said on Thursday.
Mirziyoyev’s office did not say by how long the Central Asian country would extend its second lockdown introduced after a surge in the Covid-19 cases.