- Tests that give results in minutes to be rolled out across world
- Global deaths near 1 million
- CDC director takes aim at Trump adviser: ‘Everything he says is false’
- Crew on first post-lockdown Greek cruise contract coronavirus
- UK coronavirus updates – live
The Dutch government has announced a raft of new measures, including limiting travel, closing bars and restaurants early and discouraging public gatherings. We reported earlier that a series of similar measures had been under consideration.
The measures, which also include wider use of cloth masks for the public in Amsterdam and other big cities, came amid a second wave of cases that have passed the earlier peak in April in numbers of new infections.
Quebec, the hardest-hit Canadian province, has reported another sharp increase in daily infections, amid media reports that its premier François Legault would announce new restrictions for Montreal and the capital, Quebec City.
Quebec added 750 new cases on Monday despite existing restrictions on mask-wearing and social gatherings put in place by Canada’s second-most populous province to contain the spread of infections.