- Nancy Pelosi in face covering row after salon visit
- Hydrocortisone found to save lives of some patients
- Schools reopen across Europe as cases grow
- UK coronavirus updates – live
- US coronavirus updates – live
Silvio Berlusconi, the media tycoon who served four terms as Italy’s prime minister, has tested positive for Covid-19.
The 83-year-old is said to be under isolation and continuing to work from his home.
The European Union is warning governments not to reduce the 14-day quarantine for people infected with Covid-19 as some develop the infection even after two weeks, the head of the bloc’s health agency said, signalling a new surge in cases in Europe.
Germany, the EU’s largest country, informed EU authorities that it planned to shorten the quarantine length, following similar moves by the Netherlands and Norway, minutes of a late-August meeting show.
The virus has not been sleeping over the summer. It did not take vacation.
“We are almost back to numbers that we have seen in March.”