- Moderna Covid vaccine has 94% efficacy, final results confirm
- Experts warn of cases surge after widespread Thanksgiving travel
- Spain appeals for ‘common sense’ after shopping crowd scenes
- Sri Lanka prisoners killed in riot over coronavirus conditions
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Spending time with friends and family at Christmas is “not worth putting them or yourself at risk”, according to the head of the World Health Organization.
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the body’s director general, said people should consider whether travelling during the festive period is necessary. Urging “extreme caution”, he said that “gains can easily be lost”.
Colombia will keep its land and river borders closed until 16 January in an attempt to stem Covid’s spread.
The country has seen illegal crossings since it closed its borders in March, with many migrants returning home from Venezuela amid its social and economic crisis.