Latest updates: PM holds press conference; Police Federation says new rules may be impossible to enforce; Starmer says three-tier system is risky
- Boris Johnson sets out new three-tier system for England
- Oxford/Astra/Zeneca vaccine ‘likely first to be widely used in UK’
- Crowds of up to 4,000 and grassroots games to return
- England’s new post-lockdown tier system explained
- Coronavirus – latest global updates
Boris Johnson admitted rolling out the vaccine for Covid-19 is a huge logistical challenge and said it will take “a long time” before everyone who needs the vaccine gets it.
A large number of partners will be coming together to deliver [the vaccine] – the NHS, local authorities, the armed services, Public Health England, we will all be working together, there’s a huge, huge effort to go and that’s why it’s such a big logistical challenge.
It will take a long time before we can get the shots in the arms where they’re needed.
The prime minister said there are no plans to close schools a week early so children can safely visit elderly relatives over Christmas.
“We believe education is of huge importance, we want to keep kids in school as much as we can,” he said.